Friday 22 March 2013

C'mon deliver the letter, the sooner, the better... Part 2

Book 2 for the Postal reading Challenge-
Next To Love

 This book belonged to my Mum and she had enjoyed it. I'd attempted to read it once before but put it down after a few pages. This is a good thing about reading challenges, they get you to give books a second chance. I enjoyed this book, but I didn't love it. I found the time setting interesting and the parts I enjoyed the most were the letters. I found it interesting reading the letters from the men in the war and how their perceptions of the world changed with their experiences.

Book3 for the Postal Reading Challenge-
Feeling Sorry for Celia

I didn't feel sorry for Celia at all, and think it's a rather ill fitting title for this book. I don't think any of the characters felt sorry for Celia really? Worried about Celia might have been a better title. Celia's mother should have done something about her behavior really!
I guess this book (like "Every boys got one") would appeal a lot more to younger readers. 

Book4 for the Postal Reading Challenge-
The Prodigal Sister

This book was also my Mum's and I wish she'd had a chance to read it, she would have loved it I think. This is the sort of book I wanted to write notes in the margins of. I added a list of dates and a photocopy of a map for the next reader (probably one of my sisters).
I loved the interaction between the 4 sisters and the location. (New Zealand's South island)
I didn't want to finish it, but I couldn't put it down.
The book covered a lot of topics (grief/self harm/infedelity) in an interesting storyline.

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of any of these titles before, so thanks for sharing them all! Always great to find new epistolary books to feed my addiction...

    The last one is great, as I was looking for a book set in New Zealand for a friend, and couldn't think of anything new to recommend for her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great book I read recently that was set in New Zealand is "Second Chances" by Charity Norman. Doesn't fit with the Postal challenge but it was good.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like my kind of book. Why did you include the two items? Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book should have had a map in it actually. I've been to New Zealand to some of the places they went and I wanted to see where they went. I'm loaning the book to my sisters and they haven't been to NZ, so I thought they might like the map too.
      The other note was a list of the characters ages at the beginning of the book as I found it a bit confusing who was the eldest etc for the first few chapters of the book as there were 4 sisters.

      And thanks for your postcard! I'm a bit behind in the blog reading, so I hadn't even realised you'd mistaken the sender of my card. I'm glad you liked it!
      Your card is great! I love your drawings!

      Delete